Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Country Lesson Learned

Don’t Honk Your Horn Unless You Mean It

                I have something I need to admit.  I have a terrible habit.  I can’t seem to stop it.  It brings joy to my life.  I don’t think my friends feel the same way about it. Let me explain.   I am terrible about honking the car/truck/tractor/bus/whatever I can find horn and trying to scare people when they walk in front of any vehicle that I happen to be in.  It makes me laugh, lots.  Yes, I know that is a joke that a 7 year old plays but I can’t help it.  And, if I may, I’d like to gloat a little and say that I am very good at getting people to jump frequently with this trick.  A few weeks ago I learned a lesson about this trick though.  That lesson, you ask?  When on the ranch, don’t honk your horn unless you mean it. 
Michael and I were out looking at the horses and stopped by the barn to check on the cats there.  Michael, being chivalrous got out and opened the gate so he could drive through (Typically it is the job of the person in the passenger seat but being the dashing man he is he took responsibility as the driver that day).  When he walked in front of the truck I played my trick and laid on the horn.  I really let it rip.  He didn’t even jump though.  It fact he shouted, “Don’t honk the horn!”  I thought he didn’t want me to because it’s annoying and childish.  I was wrong.  I soon saw why.  I turned around and saw a mass of cows and calves headed in the direction of our truck from over a far away hill.  They were headed our way because they are trained that when they hear the horn it means food.  Guess what?  We didn’t have any food.  It wasn’t a cake day (Cake = Cattle Feed).  One little (sort of short) honk and they all were headed our way!  They didn’t stop until they got to the fence either.  And there waited 50 or so mommas and babies waiting for cake.  I felt terrible.  Michael was not impressed by my joke either.  Overall,  it was an educational experience and I can promise you that I will NOT be honking horns without reason out at the ranch anytime soon.  This is just something that they don’t prepare you for when you take “country living 101.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment