Monday, December 19, 2011

So Many Things to be Thankful for!

It has been such an exciting few weeks for me with everything that has gone on.  On Saturday December 10th the love of my life Michael asked me to marry him while horseback riding at White Sands National Monument.  What a beautiful and special place to ask!  We had a wonderful dinner in Cloudcroft, NM and headed back to reality on Sunday.  Sunday evening was the LWML Christmas party and it was a blast.  We had a great devotion about being a servant to The Lord and used the theme, “Every Apron Tells a Story.” Each lady brought an apron that had a special story or memory attached to it.  What a wonderful way to share with your friends some great memories.  Most ladies had stories that related to their mothers which is only natural I suppose.  After that we got to make aprons of our own.  All in all a great night, especially since I was still floating on cloud 9 from the engagement.  I could not be more blessed to have such wonderful women share the excitement and joy with me. 
The week flew by with Christmas preparations and spending time dreaming of what is to come with a wedding in the near future.  We have decided that we will get married on October 6, 2012.  It is far away but I know it will go so fast which is a good thing because we can’t wait!  We will get married at the Lutheran church in Lariat and have the reception at the pecan orchard in Portales.  That is about as far as we have come on details though. 
Friday night Micahel and I went out to supper at one of the scariest looking restaurants I have been to in a long time.  It is called the Fuzhou and is in Clovis, NM.  Good thing looks are deceiving because the food was great!  The best “Chinese” food I have had in a long time.  
Saturday I ended up working until noon at the feedlot while Michael worked selling nuts.  Saturday evening was a great night out as we went to eat with some friends from work.  We went to Red Lobster which makes me laugh considering where I live and where I grew up.  Oh well, their rolls are amazing and you can’t go wrong with shrimp bathed in garlic.  We then ended the evening with a trip to Wal-Mart to get supplies to make tamales.  It is my “kick” of the week that I am determined to make. We shall see how that adventure turns out.
Sunday we went to church, got in a good nap and had a great Sunday brunch.  Michael was sweet enough to work hard again and take down an apricot tree that didn’t survive the freeze last year.  I was so sad to see it go as it was my favorite tree skeleton around.  It also left a corner of my yard very sad and bland.  Hopefully I can get another tree going there soon though.  That tree he took down will provide many warm nights by the fire so I can’t argue with that.  While he worked on the tree I worked on putting supper together.  As usual I bought way to much bulk meat and have 70 pounds of ball tip roasts to use.  We made pot roast in a pan (crock) that I had never used before and it turned out well.  I will use it again in that style for sure! For dessert I made baklava which turned out delicious!  We had Michael’s parents over for supper before candlelight service at church.  It was a great day and so nice to have people over for supper to test my cooking skills on.  Also, I would not trust myself, or my waistline home alone with an entire batch of baklava so I was glad there were people to share it with.  Church was lovely, one of my favorite services of the year as we got to sing Christmas carols and listen to the Word of God together as a church family.  Also, it was the first year I have gotten to go with a family.  I don't mind going to church alone but it is so great to now have Michael by my side and church and last night his parents with us as well.
It was a wonderful week and weekend and I am still floating around with all the joys and excitement of life.  There are so many things to be grateful for this year it brings a smile to my face every time I think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment