Thursday, December 29, 2011

Night 2 of Fridge/Pantry Cleanout

     Night 2 of eventful cooking proved not to disappoint.  I had some ball tip roasts (4) that I wanted to cook and get ready for the tamale meat so I put that in a crock pot with  just about every spice in the cabinet I could reach, paying special attention to the chile section of the cabinet.  It all went into a crock pit and I added water and some onions and let it go for about 18 hours.  What turned out was bliss.  Meat so tender it fell apart at the touch of a fork.  For supper I dug out tortillas and cheese from the back of the fridge and had some of my favorite Vigo Spanish rice in the pantry.  We made burritos that were to die for.  I didn’t have any salsa at my house but Michael introduced me to canned salsa that was great!  Even better than the great roasted flavor was that it is only a fraction of the price of regular salsa that usually comes in a glass jar.  Anywhere from $0.50 to $1 per can!  For supper we indulged.  I had 3 store bought freezer pie crusts that needed to be used so Wednesday was their day to shine!  I made triple crust iron skillet apple pie.  First I melted a stick of butter in the pan by placing it in the 350 degree oven.  Once melted I placed ½ cup of brown sugar on top of the butter and put it back in the oven to warm/melt.  Once melted I placed the first pie crust in the skillet.  Then, half of the peeled and sliced apples (5 apples total).  The apples got sprinkled with ½ cup of white sugar and a teaspoon of cinnamon.  Then went on the next crust.  After that the rest of the apples were put in and topped with the same amount of sugar and cinnamon.  Lastly the 3rd pie crust went on.  It once again received the “E” seal of approval (Michael's Last Initial) on the top pie crust for venting and in it went to the oven for about 45 minutes.  Sure it may not be the healthiest thing but it had apples in it at least!  Once done and cut we topped it with whip cream and indulged.  It was AMAZING.  Very, very sweet, but that is right up my alley so I enjoyed it.  Michael must have enjoyed the meal as well because he helped himself to plenty of rice, 3 burritos and 2 helpings of pie!  All of this was enjoyed in front of a warm New Mexico fire.  What a great way to spend a Wednesday evening!  Thursday’s meal will call use to my abundant supply of ground beef that I am constantly looking for an outlet for.  Enjoy your Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment