Thursday, December 22, 2011

Winter Solstice Stikes Again!

The cold continues on the high plains and the wind is joining right along as well.  Usually, today is my least favorite day of the year.  It is winter solstice, ie: the shortest day of the year.  Well, clearly it is still 24 hours long but has the least amount of day light.  I dread these short winter days.  They are far better than the VERY short days that I experienced living in New England though.  Living literally within a mile of the Stateline/time change here has timing in my favor!  Luckily there have been many joys to distract me.  Last night we went over to Michael’s parents house for supper.  His mom is a wonderful cook and we had enchiladas, tacos, great Spanish rice and flan for dessert.  It is so nice to be able to visit with them and enjoy a nice evening.  My friends from Nebraska – Mary and Lester – made it into town last night as well.  How great to have friends visit!  They stop every year as they make their way to Arizona to enjoy some warm weather and sunshine.  We will have fun with horse/mule/donkey talk and  catching up on life since last year.
                My morning was brightened today when one of our truck drivers brought in homemade tamales for everyone.  Oh how I love fresh tamales!  They were spicy but delicious.  It sparks my interest even more to make my own.  Maybe this will be the weekend it happens!  The tamale steaming pot I bought Saturday night just stares at me every time I walk in the kitchen as it waits to be used!
                I am anxious to get out of work and really enjoy Christmas.  Of course like many, I am not ready.  I don’t have any baking done and not a single Christmas card sent.  Most of this will have to wait until I am done with work though.  It is looking like I am going to have to work through Saturday morning so it will be a short weekend.  My heart is ready to celebrate the birth of Jesus though so all the other things are just minor in comparison to the real celebration that we have this weekend.  Michael and I will be spending our first Christmas together and I look forward to it!  It will be quiet and relaxing with church Saturday night and Sunday morning and then a laid back Sunday.  We have not decided what we will cook yet but maybe we will try something new and adventurous! Or, we may just did like we did on Thanksgiving – rotisserie chicken and store bought sides – easy and delicious!  Regardless I am sure that it will be filled with love, happiness and fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment