Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Snow in Paradise

Winter has descended on us today and I am living in a winter wonderland.  I am not shy to say that winter is not my favorite time of the year by any means and today is not helping my sentiments.  It rained almost all day yesterday and about 4:45 last night the cold air blew in and things got chilly.  The snow started and the rain that had fallen began to freeze.  It was not a fun drive home and although it is only 9 miles the roads had snow blown over them and a semi truck was jackknifed in the road.  Not a good sign of what was to come! The snow continued but we did not get that much after all.  I went out to get diesel about 10:15 and was the only one out on the road and boy was it ever slippery!  I was even happier that I got my truck thawed out and de-iced last night instead of having to do it this morning.  My day began at 3:37 AM today when a coworker of mine called to let me know that we would have to have a blizzard caravan.  I was done with sleep at that point so I drifted in and out of consciousness until 4:40 and got up and started calling my crew to let them know to meet at the gas station so we could all drive in together.  Needless to say I am already very sleepy/tired and it is only 7:45 AM!  The worst part about all of this was that we had to cancel our Christmas party last night due to the weather.  Hopefully we can reschedule it for sometime soon!  Now it is time to see if we can get this old mill running in the ice and cold.  Machines and hydraulics like this cold and weather about as much as a I. (Have I mentioned I despise winter yet?)  All I can do today is wrap on another layer of Carhartt and dream of warm days to come! Have a good day and stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment