Thursday, March 1, 2012

Fabric Buying in Abu Dhabi

The quilt guild I go to is well underway for the year and of course, I am behind.  By behind I mean I have nothing done.  While in Abu Dhabi I was able to buy fabric for this project, I suppose that puts me one step closer!  Our theme this year is Asian blocks which I am not a huge fan of.  I am finding through the show and tell every month that the fabric you use can totally change the block.  With the fabric I have seen the other ladies use it either looks totally “Asian” style or not even close.  With that being said I was trying to stay away from the traditional Asian style fabric.  In Abu Dhabi there seems to be a fabric store on every corner and I couldn’t resist going in any longer.  My mom and I sent the boys packing (To pick up handmade tailored shirts that Michael had made) and we went to the fabric store.  Interestingly enough, it is all men that work at the fabric stores.  I don’t think I could pay a man enough money in the U.S. to spend 12 hours a day 6 days a week to be surrounded by fabric!  In the store when you find a fabric you like you point to it and they pull the bolt down for you to look at.  When they pull it down they also spread it out all over the counter top.  When you walk by the stores you sometimes see mountains of fabric stacked high with disapproving women making judgments of it.  Frequently the women just walk out with these men left to refold and stack all that fabric and they won’t even buy any!  I would feel guilty and at least buy a little bit if I were them… Anyway, back to my buying experience!  Mom and I spotted a great set of fabric that had paisley all over it.  Very beautiful.  We had those pulled and I instantly fell in love.  My love affair continued as bolt after bolt of fabric covered in paisley was brought out.  There was 1 gentleman that had a great eye and almost everything he pulled I liked and it worked with the collection.  The other helper, not so much.  There was a clear theme going on and he continued to pull opposite colors or totally different patterns.  I give him an A for effort but sadly had to reject all his recommendations.  I left the store with 10 – 15 different prints, all beautiful!  I can’t wait to see what they will look like in this quilt!  Hopefully in the next few days I have the chance to start working on the quilt and put these beautiful textiles to work.  I think that through the fabric selection it will 100% change the look of the quilt and only someone that is a block/pattern connoisseur will be able to recognize that I have used an Asian style block for the quilt!

1 comment:

  1. What a fun day that was! Good thing we had limited time or who knows what else you would have gone home with!

    ReplyDelete