Friday, October 18, 2013

Mom/Daughter Sewing Project


My mom and I are about to embark on a new adventure.  She will be arriving in a few weeks to help welcome the new baby but also so we can have some great mom/daughter time before the baby arrives.  One thing we are wanting to do is to do a quilt together.  Let me be more specific, each do our own quilt but do the same pattern and process.  I simply can’t wait for this project!

My mom and I have very different styles when it comes to sewing/crafting/creating/organizing.  She is very precise and methodical.  I tend to throw stuff together and hope it all works out in the end.  This really can make it fun to work together as we tend to balance each other out really well.  When I have something that calls for a pattern (my worst nightmare!) she is always there to help me actually follow the rules so things turn out as they should.  When she has something with limited directions I am there encouraging her to “just wing it” and see how it ends!  That is why I am so excited for this project.  This project comes from www.dontcallmebetsy.com and we are going to do one of her quilt-a-longs that she did a few years ago called Kaleidoscope.  The fun thing about this is that the trial and error stage is already over and we can see others designs and finished projects for inspiration. 

Mom has been throwing around a lot of color ideas and I still haven’t heard what she has settled on.  I have a huge stash of red fabrics and some wonderful beige fabric that would be perfect for a background (think camel colored lightly tooled leather) so I think that is what I am going to try.  There are so many variations that can really change the look of the design.  It will be fun to see how this all ends up!  I can’t wait for her to get here and for us to get our projects underway!
Kaleidoscope QAL button
 
Kaleidoscope quilt - front view
Finished product from www.dontcallmebetsy.com

1 comment:

  1. yay! finally catching up on your blogs on a real computer! :)

    ReplyDelete