Monday, October 7, 2013

Colorado Camping


 At the beginning of July we got to escape away for a little vacation.  My parents flew to visit us and then we drove to Fort Collins, Colorado to visit with my mom’s sister and her family.  We left my parents to stay with them and we continued on the rest of our adventure.  We visited Michael’s sister in Carbondale, CO before heading out camping on our own.  We had such a great time camping.  We only went for two nights as pregnancy was already starting to make things interesting (ie: sleeping on the ground) but enjoyed the experience.  We camped near Redstone, CO along Avalanche Creek.  Our campsite was remote and we didn’t have anyone around us.  We were just a short walk from the creek as well.  It was my goal to get into a body of water bigger than my bathtub on this getaway as living in the desert (at least I think it feels like the desert although technically, it isn’t) keeps me from doing this at will.  Thank goodness I was able to succeed!  The weather was surprisingly warm (in the 90’s) but the streams were still very cold.  It didn’t stop me from getting in though!  All those years swimming off the east coast really got me in prime shape for cold water that I have encountered elsewhere.  It would probably take icebergs to keep me out!  Campfire cooking was also a blast.  Michael was so much fun to grocery shop with as we got to have some great junk food (he said it was one of the best things about camping and he was right!) but we also got to create some tasty meals as well.  It was fun to see what we could invent to get what we needed!
 
After camping we headed towards Crested Butte, CO and spent the night there.  We loved the little cozy town and thought the valley was just beautiful.  After a yummy breakfast in Gunnison, CO we headed back towards home.  It was such a nice getaway that was a perfect blend of visiting with family and having some new adventures of our own.  Here are a few pictures!

Proud of his tent set up.  This was the first location for the tent but it was way to lumpy so it had to be relocated.
 
Still proud at spot number 2!
  
Afternoon shower and rainbow, view from our campsite.
 
Tiny tent but worked well!
 
 Kabobs for supper. Yum!
 
Our high tech, double filtration coffee pot.
Ready to steep!
 
On the drive headed towards Crested Butte, CO
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment