Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Bottle Calves

I am happy to report that all the babies are doing well so far and we have acquired another one.  This time it is a solid black bull calf.  He seems to the be the strongest eater we have had yet and he needed the least amount of help nursing from the bottle.  The heifers we really had to help get them started nursing by getting the nipple in their mouth and then squeeze on their mouths to get the suction started.  We had to do that for about a day and a half on Blackie and 3 or 4 days with Red.  So far, bull calf has needed no help at all!  Below is a picture of Blackie meeting Ace.

                I had a funny moment last Friday as I was talking to my dear friend Meghan as I was headed over to feed the bottle calves.  We finished a great conversation and I said I had to run because the babies were crying for supper.  She laughed and said, “Wow how our lives have changed!  I am leaving from supper at a bar in Boston and you are going to feed cattle!”  I have reflected on this a lot since then.  It makes me laugh every time I think of it.  It also makes me think of how many different paths there are in life.  I never thought this would be the life I would live but I love every second of it.  I always thought I would be right along there with Meghan and my other friends that I grew up with being young socialites in the city and someday settling down in the suburbs to raise my 2.5 children in my white picket fenced yard.  When I was little I told my mom I wanted a job where I could wear “click-clack” shoes when I grew up and my dreams have come true.  My cowboy boots go click-clack every time I wear them.  Although this is not the same click-clack we imagined (I thought it would be high heels) I wouldn’t change it for the world.
                On that note, I am off to feed calves, chickens, dogs, horses, the cat and the fiancé.  Have a great Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment